07 December, 2006

In Honor of an Awesome Saint

The Awesome Saint of the day is (drum role) Ambrose, bishop of Milan (c. 340 – 4 April 397), smacker of Arians, Composer of Hymns, Father of Chant, Spiritual Father of St. Augustine, Doctor of the Church, Bearded of Bees, Honeyed of Speech, Consular Prefect of Liguria and Emilia, Patron of a Russell, Denouncer of Heretics, Excomunicator of Emperors, Deposer of Rogue Bishops, Dissuader of Rebels, Punisher of Pagans, Silent Reader, and Awesome Defender of the Faith.

An Awsome Ambrose Quote:
"If you demand my person, I am ready to submit: carry me to prison or to death, I will not resist; but I will never betray the church of Christ. I will not call upon the people to succour me; I will die at the foot of the altar rather than desert it. The tumult of the people I will not encourage: but God alone can appease it."

2 comments:

Black Mona said...

good post! i really like the quote alot.

ps. i think it's HILARIOUS that you are Marianne Dashwood. and quite disturbing at that....=)

Domenicus said...

Awesome, Brendan.
St. Ambrose is one of my heroes too. Way up there with St. Athanasius.