06 November, 2006

Metaphysics: the Black Hole of Philosophy

I thought my brain was going to burst! The pain from trying to keep up with the strange abstract concepts that the professor was trying to crame into my brain seemed to fly right over my head. What I did end up getting into my head just confused me and seemed to bounce around inside until I was going crazy...so I doodled in the margins of the page (nothing new I confess).

A good priest once told me (in his unmistakably gruff British accent) that the student of metaphysics is like a "Blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that is not there." I couldn't agree more on that score, and today I think that the point was very apt. Metaphysics reminds me very much of a black whole; trying to cram everything that we know about into one all encompassing category and trying to figure out what we can say about it once it is in this mega category. Ugh...

...in better news though, and for some strange reason, I am doing quite well in the class, despite my ineptitude.

1 comment:

Awesome Sean said...

You and William of Ockham would have gotten along... he does not like Metaphysics either.

Paul Bower called it 'meatphysics'... something about Dr. Fedoryka's penis not being as big as Aristotle's penis. It made sense at the time. Ask your Prof. he should know which is bigger.