02 November, 2006

All Soul's Day

May the souls of the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
All Soul's Day puts me in mind of what we owe to our ancenstors. We are indebted to them for handing down the faith to us, and so it is right that we should honor the glorius patrimony that they have given us by doing the same for our descendants. Edmund Burke says that "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors." In that spirit of thanksgiving, I dedicate this blog to my ancestors, in particular my paternal Irish forefathers, for I am nothing but the bones of my ancestors.

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
May the rain fall soft upon your fields,
and until we meet again,
May God hold you
in the palm of His hand.


Dedicated to the repose of the soul of my grandfather,
Clayton T. Heffron (1930-2005)

1 comment:

Black Mona said...

beautiful! i love both those sayings...