23 May, 2007

¡Poco, Pico y Picante!

Bugs. I just can't seem to stay away from them...or rather, they from me. Since arriving in Cuernavaca, Mexico, I have been waking up every morning with at least one new bit (pico in español). I have gone over me room I don't know how many times trying to find the culprit(s) but to no avail! I just keep getting bitten by the bugs down here (who seem to have a fondness for my blood as nobody else is getting bitten) and on top of that...I seem to be allergic to them to! The bits swell up like no other!

Moving on...but still on the subject of bugs...you will have no idea what they served us to eat at the school the other day. Yep...you guessed it...bugs! They were explaining to us some of the foods of Mexico. Among the many itemes that most of us are familiar with, maiz, chiles, mangos, etc...there...in the middle of the table in a glass jar sat a bunch of live bugs (looked similar to really fat stink bugs....the best I can do for visuals...but smelled something like ladybugs). I, of course, refused to eat even one, but a bunch of the other guys (some just to prove that they were a man...what is up with that?) had at least one. Taste was described as akin to Redhots candy. For one of us though...it was not to be the most interesting food expierience of his day...

One of the seminarians...for some stupid idiotic reason...decided that he would just pop a habañero pepper into his mouth. At first he was okay...but then he was not, it took forever to cool down his mouth with milk, fruit, and finally a trip to the ice cream store. His mouth was so red afterwards...it was hard not to laugh at his pain because of his stupid machismo! Anyway...he pulled through alright, but this morning he said that all night his stomach gave him hell...as well we all knew it would!

Well...its still hot down here my friends. I miss you all sooooo much, and cannot wait to see you all again...in three weeks. Love you all...from...

Tu hermano en Jesuchristo!

1 comment:

Black Mona said...

oh Brendon! how i feel your pain! that's precisely one of the reasons why i'm leaving TX: Bugs. not regular annoying bugs....oh no, i'm talking about GARGANTUAN, BITING EVERYWHERE bugs!


i miss you too. 3 weeks, hmm? does that mean you'll be back in time for mel and justin's wedding???
(please say yes!)