09 September, 2006

From GR to D-town

Some of you may be wondering how I got to Sacred Heart. I know I had been telling you all that I was going to be sent to Mundelien, Illinois (Our Lady of the Lake Seminary), but, as things would have it, God seemed to have other plans. Shortly after returning home after Graduation I got a call from the new and very recently appointed Vocations director for the Diocese of Grand Rapids. He saw that I was in sort of a limbo status, being on the old (and inept) Vocation Director's directory of applicants, but nothing much other that that. Needless to say, I was thrilled to hear from him! For a while it had seemed that nobody wanted me in GR and so gave me little motivation to complete my application (after all, if they never even seem at the very least slightly interested that you are interested in being a priest in their Diocese...why not go elsewhere?). I was thrilled and before the conversation ended, I had a date set to meet with Father regarding my vocation...at last I felt wanted!

The meeting was interesting...I arrived on time, but for some reason all the doors were locked (not again...was what I was thinking) but I eventually stumbled on some people taking a tour of the place (random huh?) and they let me in and I was able to find Father's office. The conversation went well, and he was very apprieciative and supporting in my decision to study for the priesthood in Grand Rapids. He then asked me if I was thinking of going to Sacred Heart...that was interesting...and I told him that I had not as I was under the impression that all GR guys went to Mundelien, but that I was open to the idea (did not want to seem too eager...and I did have mixed emotions on the subject...still do...). The reason he said that the change came was, 1) New Bishop (from Detroit), 2) New Vocations Director, and 3) The other seminarian that I would be going with had requested to come here (the big reason I came to find out).

So that is how I ended up here. The first seminarians ever from Grand Rapids to attend this seminary. Nice sense of pride in that...but we are also the Gunea Pigs to test out the place and see if future GR seminarians will come here. I hope it goes well, I am getting used to the place, but it is still Detriot and a far cry from what I am used to back home on the farm. Please keep me in your prayers!

2 comments:

Emilie said...

hey!! you are DEF. in my prayers... now and always!

anyways, so im glad that youre liking shs okay! so umm youre like maybe half an hour away... do you guys ever get time off? if you do.. (and if youre allowed to see girls lol) we should hang out! i miss you like crazy!

the Mariner said...

hey! glad to hear from ya! you're always in my prayers.
good luck and remember:
laugh uncontrollably...it clears the mind
and
smile...people will wonder what you've been up to

luv and miss ya!