28 August, 2007

A Rather Dry Summer

This summer has been a most eventful one for me. Despite the lack of activity apparent from the contents of this blog (none within the past several weeks) I have actually been doing a lot of things, just nothing interesting nor wholly worthwhile to report. That being said, I thought that I should give a little recap of what I have been up to for those interested parties who have not heard from me for a while.

After four years of college and a year of seminary studies and two months in Mexico, I decided that it was high time for me to take a little break from it all. It's difficult to devote almost your entire life to one thing for so long, and yet have the goal still further off. This past year really drained me, but it also showed me that I need some growing up to do. A lot of the guys at the seminary had a few years on their own, working, and living on their own. I call this "living life" or "real life experience." Because I went right from the extreme shelter of home-schooling to four years in small Catholic Colleges and then the seminary, I have not fully (at least to my satisfaction) experienced life to the degree that I feel a candidate for priesthood should. I do not want to be a young priest, who while having all the education possible, lacks any idea of how to live on his own, take care of himself and the day to day cares of 90% of the Catholic population. So this is why I have left seminary formation for the time being (don't worry...I plan to go back someday); to get in touch with the day to day life of normal people and to live a few experiences that my sheltered life has not enabled me to encounter.

So I am now looking for employment, which hopefully pays well and is a job that I like. I have already submitted several application to a variety of places, but have yet to receive any word back. It is already strange not to be back in school this year...after almost 18 years of going to school in the fall...one feels almost like a fish out of water, and more than a little old.

Now you know what I have been up to. I have not been idle, but already I am happy that I made the decision that I did. While it is tough getting over this initially, I believe that I will reap abundant reward from following the will of Christ for my life. So even though the summer has been so dry...there is yet a bit of dew in the mornings!

1 comment:

Felix said...

Hey Brendan,
Its good to see that you are taking time to go and experience the outside world. Where did you send applications too? Are you still in Michigan? If you ever want to have a real experience of life come to L.A> and I will show you everything possible under the blue moon. But I am only blabbing, do what God is calling you to do and always remember to pray. Keep the sacred heart of Jesus and the Immaculate heart of Mary close and they will help you in experiencing life with a lot more ease then tryong to do it by yourself, this coming from a guy who needed guidance while living that worldly experience. I will continue to pray for you and if there is anything that you need help with let me know and I will do whatever is in my power to see that it gets done. Enjoy your freedom and make the best of it. Much Respect, your brother in Christ Chris.